Earlier this month, the Western Australian Minister for Culture and the Arts announced the shortlists for the 2019 WA Premier’s Book Awards, and I couldn’t have been more delighted, or surprised, to find myself shortlisted for the inaugural Western Australian Writer’s Fellowship.
It’s an honour to be in the company of this stellar group of writers. Thanks to the judges for making my year!
Shortlists for the three other awards being presented are as follows:
- Alicia Tuckerman, If I Tell You (novel, YA; Pantera Press)
- Dervla McTiernan, The Rúin (novel; HarperCollins Publishers)
- Renée Pettitt-Schipp, The Sky Runs Right Through Us (poetry; UWA Publishing)
- Gus Henderson, The Wounded Sinner (novel; Magabala Books)
- Laurie Steed, You Belong Here (novel; Margaret River Press)
Writing for Children
- Sally Morgan, illust. Craig Smith, Grandpa, Me and Poetry (Scholastic Australia)
- Mark Greenwood, illust. Andrew McLean, The Happiness Box (Walker Books Australia)
- Kelly Canby, The Hole Story (Fremantle Press)
- Barry Marshall & Lorna Hendry, illust. Bernard Caleo), How to Win a Nobel Prize (Piccolo Nero, Schwartz Publishing Pty Ltd)
- Kirsty Murray, illust. Karen Blair, Puddle Hunters (Allen & Unwin)
Daisy Utemorrah Award for Unpublished Indigenous Junior and YA Writing
- Paul Callaghan, ‘Coincidence’
- Kirli Saunders, ‘Mother Speaks’
- Karl Merrison & Hakea Hustler, ‘Tracks of the Missing’
Congratulations and good luck to all!
12 responses to “WA Premier’s shortlists…”
Heartfelt congratulations, Amanda, to a most worthy ambassador who combines excellence in writing with huge generosity and contribution to fellow writers. I am excited to see the shortlisting. Yes, indeed: good luck to all. 👌💃🏻
That’s so lovely of you, Robyn. Thank you!
Congratulations, Amanda, and good luck.
Many thanks, Maureen 🙂
Ditto from me, Amanda. I’m sure you’re thrilled. Well deserved. 🙂
I am indeed thrilled. Thanks for your good wishes, Glen 🙂
Such wonderful news Amanda. All the best for the awards night! x
Thanks so much, Fiona 🙂
I’m delighted, Amanda, to see your name up in lights. Hard to think of anyone more deserving. Best wishes for the outcome!
Very kind of you, Ian. Thank you 🙂
Congratulations, Amanda, I am so pleased to hear about this — but am not surprised at all. You are one of Australia’s finest writers and I cherish every book you’ve ever written.
Aw, Lisa, that’s such a lovely thing to say, and I truly cherish your kind words. Thank you!